Monday, January 10, 2011

Challenge: Lose 20 lbs. before May 1

One of my passions is fitness. Thus, I am a certified Spinning instructor and teach at local fitness facilities. As I researched goals and resolutions for this past week's Spinning class, I found that weight loss was a primary goal and a common New Year resolution. However, I also found that in many cases the resolution is short lived. Thus, I have decided to study the issues surrounding weight loss and throw down a challenge to loose 20 lbs before May 1st, 2011. This year I have framed the process differently than I have "unsuccessfully" in years past. What am I doing differently?

First, as I prepared for my Spinning classes this past week I called my class - Resolutions 2 REVolutions: How big is your WHY? The more that I think about the WHY, the more I have come to respect the WHY part of the formula? Goals and resolutions are great and yet, will they be enough to bridge the challenges in achieving them? NO, It is essential to have as many answers to WHY as there are fears, doubts, and obstacles to the challenge.

In fact, as I peel away the WHY looking for THE answer - I find that it takes a powerful WHY to sustain the motivations. If your goal for 2011 is weight loss, what is your WHY? How BIG is it? Will you be motivated to stay on goal to better health through a responsible weight loss plan? WHY? 

As I suggested, a responsible plan is essential to sustaining a healthy weight loss strategy. Weight loss is not simply about losing weight, it is about a healthy lifestyle, including exercise and smart food choices. In addition to establishing my WHY, part of my plan is to take advantage of "Drop It! The 2011 Healthy Living Challenge" offered by the Culpeper Regional Health System and Germanna Community College.

The program is a 12-week Healthy Living and Weight Loss Challenge. Registration begins Saturday, January 15, 2011. To register, complete the registration form at CulpeperHealth.org, return it to the Powell Wellness Center, and weigh-in by Saturday, January 29, 2011, or register and weigh-in at the Health Fair on Saturday, January 29, 2011 to be held at Germanna's Daniel Technology Center here in Culpeper.

What can your weight loss do for the community? Your weight loss during the 12-week challenge will benefit allied health and nursing programs in our region up to $50 per pound according to CRHS (a great WHY, plus there are prizes to win....). For each pound participants lose, a designated amount will be donated to these programs on your behalf! At $50 a pound, the 2010 12-Week Healthy Living Challenge raised $156,610 with a total of 3,132.2 pounds lost by 275 participants who completed the challenge.

Business offices can also participate as a group for some friendly competition with other businesses. The Culpeper Chamber of Commerce office is ready to sign up and looks forward to any challengers....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please email any Post to me for review at CulpeperChamber@gmail.com