Monday, February 14, 2011

Men: It's Valentine's Day today

Published February 14, 2011 in the Culpeper Star Exponent

I tread on dangerous ground with this column. I have researched the subject. I have tested some of the theories. I will now share with you the results of my findings. Caution…. Men this is for you…. Women please understand that this is written by a man and that the research was conducted by asking questions to female subject matter experts. I assume that they were honest with me….

Men, Today is Valentine’s Day. I know that this may have been overlooked on your calendar. Many calendars distributed to men often exclude Valentine’s Day. Nevertheless, if you are reading this, you are duly informed and I am writing to save you from the awkward silence that may occur if you arrive home tonight with a deer in the headlights look. It’s Valentine’s Day???

Chances are that you are reading this early in the morning and there is time to act. Here are 7 Secret tips that the experts have confided in me. I feel honored to be included in the secrets of such a solemn code among women.

One - Treat her special all year, Valentine’s Day is to celebrate this love. Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, and Seven – see rule number One!!! So simple and so profound.

So how do you celebrate today and set the stage for year round… I polled the subject matter experts again and these are a few suggestions:

Petersen Jewelers is said to be the Hardware Store for Women – saving men since 1976… Men need I say more? Secret – Troll Beads can be given year round…

Looking for chocolate… You want the chocolate that says I LOVE YOU? Look closely as you enter the Frenchman’s Corner – Neuhaus Chocolates deliver a special message. They may even package separate his and hers boxes. No one has to know about the extra box… or walk back to the Frenchman’s Cellar to find a bottle of Chocolate Shop – a special wine that is said to taste like Cherry Cordials…. Mmmm

Guy’s – say Pandora…. You know… “Celebrate The Moment” all year… hear me guys… Pepperberries is opened in their new location, find the Pandora showcase.

I heard a statistic that 59% of women like gift cards for Valentine’s Day.  Oh, thank goodness you say… off the hook, right… not so fast… They like a gift card from the right place and presented in the right way. If you bring a gift card for a romantic dinner at a local restaurant, make sure that it is accompanied with flowers, or chocolates, or a bottle of her favorite beverage.

Finally, understand that they will ask innocently “Where did you find this adorable…”  Please do not say “the Internet”.  Consider this the moment when your sincerity is on the line. Seal your success by answering: Randy’s Flowers, Petersen Jewelers, Pepperberries, Frenchman’s Corner, Frenchman’s Cellar, Chateau du Reaux, or any of our local merchants. After all, there is a very good chance that she knows, that they knew, what she wanted….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please email any Post to me for review at CulpeperChamber@gmail.com