Monday, September 9, 2013

Culpeper Convergence of Opportunity - One Example

Culpeper Star Exponent
Business Monday
September 9, 2013
Jim Charapich


What do goals and community have in common? It depends on the community that you choose. I ended my column last week with the phrase that Culpeper is a great place to live, work, and play. Sometimes these words stand alone in silos of meaning. In rare moments they converge and define amazing community.

I set a course in January that would change my path significantly for the foreseeable future. I noticed that the Ironman site offered an opportunity to apply for a lottery entry into The Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii. Fast forward to April 15th. I had just finished my first triathlon of the season - the Angels Race in Lynchburg. I was in the car on the way home looking forward to a recovery afternoon lunch… I browsed my email and there it was. I had an invitation to participate in the World Championships of Ironman Triathlon “This” October. It took a day or so for this to sink in. It was real… and It was a big deal… You cannot delay the offer for a year… It is a take it or leave it offer.

Challenge Accepted!!!! Ironically, this is the phrase that reads on my Gold’s Gym issued T-shirt as part of the Spinning Instructor Team. I had no idea that this was the year that I would find my challenge raised and then raised again. The race is a month away and I have been training since April for the big event. This is one of the rare moments that I referred to above. Live, Work, and Play have all converged and lofted my plans with support and momentum by the Culpeper community.

The Bike Stop in Culpeper has been the heart of the momentum. I worked with Bob Leftwich to identify the best coach in the region- Debi Bernardes UCanDoItCoaching. Bob works with Ironman worldwide and knew exactly who to refer me to. Eric Robinson, the owner of the Bike Stop, helped identify a perfect Tri-Bike match. He and Bob have teamed up to help with carbon fiber wheels, lightweight shoes, and a bike support to dial in the bike for optimized performance. I needed the intelligent shortcuts from trial and error. World class resources - here in Culpeper.

I have done much of my training at Powell Wellness Center. My early Indoor Cycling Class is full of athletes that Swim, Bike, & Run. The energy on Monday and Thursday’s at 5:45 AM is better than coffee. When we finish the ride - there is usually a group that bricks a run and or a swim afterwards. My favorite part of the training components at Powell Wellness is the TURTTLE pool. The pool is an oval that allows for a continuous swim. I am able to swim uninterrupted against a formidable current strengthening my swim and establishing confidence in open water Ironman distances.

My point is that the resources for big goals are right here in a small town. Pretty cool? Actually rather amazing to Live, Work, and Play in such a great place. Checkout my progress at www.KonaFit.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please email any Post to me for review at CulpeperChamber@gmail.com