Friday, February 27, 2015

A Unity of Effort

Culpeper Chamber of Commerce
Business Article
Culpeper Star Exponent
March 2, 2015

I certainly go to my share of meetings!  If it weren't for my online calendar, I'd be lost.  I've learned to color code my calendar folders according to committees, councils, and boards.  And of course, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the meetings which are pre-meetings to prepare for the meetings to follow!  If I were texting this column, this is where I’d insert the ‘smiley face' or the 'LOL'.   But seriously, nothing beats the value of a face-to-face discussion to avoid miscommunications, lost nuanced quips, or body language interpretations to ensure that all are on the same sheet of music.  Unquestionably, unity of effort is key to the success of any endeavor that involves multiple people, agencies, or organizations.


Recently I attended my first meeting of “Healthy Culpeper”.  The gathering was held in a meeting room at UVA Culpeper Hospital.  When I walked into that room, I could literally feel the collective energy of those in attendance.  There was a palpable passion for making Culpeper an even greater place to live, work, and play; there was unity of effort.

“Healthy Culpeper”, is a nonprofit community-focused coalition devoted to promoting a healthy, safe, and educated community.  Established in 1997 as the result of a community health assessment conducted by Culpeper Regional Hospital, Healthy Culpeper is actively engaged with a diverse network of more than 75 community partners representing a broad slice of the governmental agencies and private organizations that provide social support services or conduct wellness-related programming in the County of Culpeper.  The Culpeper Chamber of Commerce is proud to be included in the list of community partners participating in this forum; we believe in unity of effort. “Healthy Culpeper” is a sterling example of how our friends and neighbors can find common ground and collectively turn aspirations and vision into reality.


Clearly, your Chamber is a business-focused organization.  Having said that, it would be quite myopic to not realize the importance of a “healthy community”, broadly defined.   The overall quality of life or community “health” directly affects efforts to grow existing and attract new businesses.   This is why YOUR Chamber participates in so many meetings, serves on so many committees, and plans community outreach activities.  YOUR Chamber works very hard to not only be a facilitator of, and advocate for, business, but also to function as the catalyst that helps ‘make things happen’.


Culpeper is rich in so many areas; but none so important as the people who call this region home.  Through unity of effort, we can accomplish much.  Follow your passions and participate accordingly; I’ll color code another appointment folder just for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please email any Post to me for review at CulpeperChamber@gmail.com